GRIMM ARTISANAL ALES
The Brewer at Grimm will operate our new 3-vessel 30bbl brewhouse and is responsible for supporting the full life-cycle of our beer from from grain to package. Because we will have a very small production team, the Brewer should expect to take on a variety of tasks, small and large. Candidates must share our commitment to quality, empirical refinement, craftsmanship, creativity, and authenticity.
- Assist in developing and enforcing proper SOP’s in all aspects of beer production
- Produce wort on a 30bbl (3 vessel) brewhouse (from milling to casting)
- Fill out brew logs and note any discrepancies
- Manage inventory for all brewing-related materials
- CIP and COP of fermenters, bright tanks, brewhouse, kegs, lines, and other areas in the brewery
- Inspect and maintain tanks, foeders, and barrels
- Ensure that the brewery, cellar, and packaging facilities and equipment are operable, clean, and safe
- Troubleshoot mechanical issues and perform basic preventive maintenance of brewing equipment (pumps, VFDs, grain transfer systems, etc.)
- Apply correct pressure of compressed CO2 gas to unitanks
- Transfer wort and beer from and to fermentation tanks, bright beer tanks, foeders, and barrels
- Assist in developing and enforcing safety protocols
- Contribute to the quality assurance processes, improvements and evolution of the brewing system to gain efficiencies
- Operate a forklift and pallet jack
- Assist all production team members in all aspects of their roles
- Participate in team meetings and report on brewing and cellaring issues
- Serve as a representative at events/festivals
Important Abilities and Skills:
- A strong work ethic and sense of urgency; the ability to multitask, prioritize competing tasks, and work independently, while excelling in a collaborative team environment
- Must be punctual, self-motivated, and employ effective time management skills
- Ability to problem-solve and work through challenges while remaining calm, flexible and upbeat, knowing when to ask for help to prevent mistakes and complete the task
- Mechanical aptitude and demonstrated ability to work with brewery and packaging equipment, basic tools, and to drive a forklift
- Writing and math skills necessary to read and write orders and to accurately complete dilution calculations, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate beer volumes/losses, and alcohol content
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and nonverbal
- Conscious record-keeping habits
- Ability to continuously stand, walk, lift, carry and handle 70 lbs.; frequently bend, stoop, kneel, climb, reach, and push; and work in confined spaces and close quarters with others
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced, labor intensive, damp and variable temperature brewery and warehouse environment and to work with hot, cold and hazardous equipment and materials
- Flexibility in both schedule and duties; willingness to work weekends and evenings
- Friendly, professional attitude
- Two or more years of relevant work experience within a brewery is preferred
- Previous experience with mechanical systems and troubleshooting problems
- Inventory management skills
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Passion for beer!
Each person that we employ will have an immediate impact on our brewery. We expect you to be motivated and to work hard just like we do. We encourage each person on our staff to have a voice and to grow with our company.
Grimm Artisanal Ales is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, military status or any other category protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Grimm Artisanal Ales expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Grimm’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
To apply, please email cover letter and resumé to Opportunities@GrimmAles.com with the subject line “Brewer”.