As the first point of contact for guests at Grimm, bartenders are the true ambassadors for our brand. Because the taproom is the gateway to the customer experience of Grimm beer—and because this is the first taproom in our company’s five-year history—the role of bartender, in this moment, is very crucial. Aside from a general knowledge of craft beer, and thorough experience in hospitality, we expect our bar staff to care about our company, and the beer we make.
Bartender essential duties:
- Function as front-line ambassador to Grimm Artisanal Ales, by:
- Understanding the history of the company, and relaying accurate and relevant information about our beers to the guest;
- Understanding each product on the taproom menu (beer, cider, wine, etc) , and accurately informing guests about beers (ingredients—grain bill, hop additions, fermentation process, etc; previous incarnations of certain beers)
- Constantly tasting products as they appear on our menu, and maintaining an up-to-date sensory knowledge of them;
- Maintain an air of friendliness and professionalism, in line with the collective mentality of Grimm Artisanal Ales.
- Maintain an environment of cleanliness and order behind the bar, by keeping all surfaces (front bar top, back bar top, bar equipment surfaces, etc) clean at all times and clear of clutter;
- Follow SOPs for cleaning of all bar surfaces and equipment;
- Maintain cleanliness and order of glassware, making sure each glass used for service is clean and smudge-free;
- Maintain a professional personal appearance: keeping good hygiene and grooming; and wearing clean, smart work clothes.
- Work with and present our beer in the best way possible, by:
- Understanding and implementing all SOPs concerning draft beer, including changing and tapping kegs correctly, draft system troubleshooting, and correct pouring procedures;
- Always serving beer that is correctly poured and beautiful.
- Be a supportive team member with taproom staff and production crew by:
- Following SOPs in taproom setup and breakdown, leaving no undue extraneous work (and leaving no messes) for the next shift’s crew;
- Being highly communicative with staff re: personal and professional needs, on shift and off; relaying any pertinent information re: taproom goings-on, draft system, kicked beers, and messes immediately to members of Grimm staff & management;
- Maintaining a constant air of honesty and professionalism with Grimm staff & management, to foster an environment of trust in the workplace;
- Being punctual—attending shifts, staff meetings, special events etc on time, and with ample time before to prepare oneself for a shift.
- Be a fun, and intrinsic, part of this ever-evolving project, by:
- Being a welcome learner, never fearing to ask questions, or admit ignorance on any topic;
- Being a welcome teacher: always making the time to imbue your co-workers (including management) with your hard-earned knowledge, and setting positive examples of leadership and excellence;
Grimm has existed as a two‐person team for the past five years. As we embark on this new era of our brewery, each individual that we employ will have an immediate impact on our brewery. We expect each employee to be motivated and to work hard just like we do. We encourage each person on our staff to have a voice and to grow with our company.
Grimm Artisanal Ales is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, military status or any other category protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Grimm Artisanal Ales expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Grimm’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.