Job Opening: Brewer
GRIMM ARTISANAL ALES
May 2023 – view description as PDF here
Brooklyn’s Grimm Artisanal Ales is a small, close-knit team dedicated to uncompromising excellence in a range of styles: IPA’s, lagers, spontaneous wild ales, wood-aged sour ales, saisons, stouts, quick sours, and natural wines. We are looking for a passionate and talented brewer to join us as we pursue our goal of achieving the highest standard of artistry and technical brewing perfection. As a company dedicated to authenticity, creativity, and innovation, we are looking for a detail-oriented individual who takes initiative and seeks excellence.
The Brewer at Grimm specializes in wort production using our custom 3-vessel 30bbl brewhouse, but is also a capable multi-tasker supporting the full life-cycle of our beer through fermentation and packaging. At Grimm, we perform an unusual range of wort processes including single infusion mashes, turbid mashes, double decoction mashes, step infusions, and no-boil raw ales. Our ideal candidate is experienced, hard-working, proactive, tidy, cooperative, steady, and quality-oriented. Special consideration will be given to candidates with relevant experience in centrifugation, canning, and/or wine-making, and yeast theory and practice.
Because we have a small production team, the Brewer should expect to take on a variety of tasks, small and large. Candidates must share our commitment to quality, empirical refinement, craftsmanship, creativity, and authenticity.
– Emphasize safety and quality by enforcing proper SOP’s in all aspects of beer production
– Assist with refining SOP’s where improvements are possible
– Produce wort on a 30bbl (3 vessel) brewhouse (from milling to casting)
– Fill out electronic brew logs in real-time and note any discrepancies.
– CIP and COP of brewhouse, fermenters, bright tanks, kegs, and other areas in the brewery
– Inspect and maintain tanks, foeders, and barrels
– Ensure that the brewery, cellar, and packaging facilities and equipment are operable, clean, and safe
– Troubleshoot mechanical issues and perform basic preventive maintenance of brewing equipment (pumps, VFDs, grain transfer systems, etc.)
– Transfer wort and beer from and to fermentation tanks, bright beer tanks, foeders, and barrels
– Contribute to the quality assurance processes, improvements and evolution of the brewing system to gain efficiencies
– Operate a forklift and pallet jack
– Assist all production team members in all aspects of their roles
– Participate in team meetings and report on brewing and cellaring issues
– Serve as a representative at events/festivals upon occasion
Important Abilities and Skills:
– A strong work ethic and sense of urgency; the ability to multitask, prioritize competing tasks, and work independently, while excelling in a collaborative team environment
– Must be punctual, self-motivated, and employ effective time management skills
– Ability to problem-solve and work through challenges while remaining calm, flexible and upbeat, knowing when to ask for help to prevent mistakes and complete the task
– Mechanical aptitude and demonstrated ability to work with brewery and packaging equipment, basic tools, and to drive a forklift
– Writing and math skills necessary to read and write orders and to accurately complete dilution calculations, volume, flow, density, weight, length, pressure and other unit conversions, calculate beer volumes/losses, and alcohol content
– Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and nonverbal
– Conscientious record-keeping habits
– Ability to continuously stand, walk, lift, carry and handle 70 lbs.; frequently bend, stoop, kneel, climb, reach, and push; and work in confined spaces and close quarters with others
– Must be comfortable in a fast-paced, labor intensive, damp and variable temperature brewery and warehouse environment and to work safely with hot, cold and hazardous equipment and materials
– Flexibility in both schedule and duties; willingness to work weekends and evenings
– Friendly, professional attitude
– 2-3 years of relevant work experience within a brewery
– Previous experience with mechanical systems and troubleshooting problems
– Be at least 21 years of age
– Passion for beer!
– Maintain the beauty and functionality of all brewing equipment
– Recipes are executed with precision and specific QC targets are achieved
– Brew day records are documented meticulously
– Brewhouse and production floor are clean and tidy
– The overall production schedule is maintained without interruption or unnecessary variance
– Positive spirit of drama-free camaraderie is maintained by treating co-workers with respect and consideration
– Excellence continuously refined via thoughtful consideration and feedback
Achieve brew log targets with accuracy by:
– Conscientiously adhering to the processes set forth in our brew logs.
– Testing the gravity and pH of the wort and adjusting ingredient quantities as necessary to achieve targets.
– Reviewing historical brew log data collected by the lab manager to foresee potential adjustments to the recipe or process that will result in more accurately achieving targets.
– Conscientiously preparing the brewhouse and ingredients prior to brewing.
– Accurately measuring brewing salts, malts, water, hops, etc.
Refine and optimize Grimm beer quality and brewing processes by:
– Conscientiously recording results of QC tests (pH and gravity) throughout the brew day in the brew log.
– Meticulously recording unanticipated changes in process and/or ingredients during the brew day in the brew log.
– Proactively suggesting and communicating updates to our brewing processes, equipment, and/or brew logs with reference to empirical evidence from brewing and cellaring operations.
– Optimizing SOP’s as production processes are refined.
– Actively participating in beer tastings and sensory panels organized by Grimm.
– Carefully tasting and considering Grimm beers, and apply sound aesthetic and technical judgment to provide feedback to all members of the team.
– Attentively collecting samples required for QC-related analysis.
Maintain the excellence and functionality of the production floor by:
– Efficiently and thoroughly cleaning, sweeping, squeegeeing, and generally tidying the brewhouse and mill areas.
– Absolutely never leaving a mess for others to contend with.
– Efficiently removing spent grain from the lauter tun and relocating bins full of spent grain to designated areas.
– Industriously troubleshooting brewhouse, glycol, and milling equipment issues as they arise.
– Methodically cleaning in place (CIP) and cleaning out of place (COP) all brewhouse vessels.
– Scrupulously organizing inventory of all brewing-related ingredients and spare parts.
– Proactively assisting in the development and enforcement of SOP’s and safety protocols.
– Enthusiastically participating in production meetings.
– Performing preventive maintenance of brewing equipment (pumps, VFDs, grain transfer systems, etc.)
Compensation: $24-$29/hr depending on experience
Each person that we employ will have an immediate impact on our brewery. We expect you to be motivated and to work hard just like we do. We encourage each person on our staff to have a voice and to grow with our company.
Grimm Artisanal Ales is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, military status or any other category protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Grimm Artisanal Ales expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Grimm’s employees to perform their job dues may result in discipline up to and including discharge.